What's Missing? Companies Dropping Letters from Logos
Why the country's biggest brands are leaving 3 key letters out of their logos
It's being called the "Missing Types" campaign, and not because someone forgot to type the letters A, B and O into the logos of some of America's major brands.
Those companies have agreed to leave those letters out of their logos to highlight the need for lifesaving blood donations. The "missing types" are actually blood types: A, B, AB and O.
It certainly gets your attention when social media pages, signs and websites for brands like Oreo and Google are missing both "O's" or State Farm and Amazon drop their "A's."
And it makes sense that a company like Clorox (missing three O's and an A) would get in on a campaign like this, since Clorox already partners with the Red Cross on disaster relief and recovery.
When blood types go missing from hospitals, says the Red Cross, patient care and medical treatments are affected. Just last month, the Red Cross experienced a critical shortage of type O blood. "When this happens, medical procedures could be delayed because blood products are not available," said Cliff Numark, senior vice president, Red Cross Blood Services. That's why they're launching the campaign and urging people to make an appointment to donate.
"Don't wait for the letters A, B and O to go missing from hospital shelves again." Cliff Numark, Red Cross
You can make an appointment to donate blood by clicking here , using the Red Cross Blood Donor App or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
If you live in the Pittsburgh region, there are blood drives scheduled through the end of the month in the following locations:
- 6/19 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., University of Pittsburgh William Pitt Union Bldg., 920 William Pitt Union, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- 6/28 2 p.m. - 7 p.m., Boyce Park Four Seasons Ski Lodge, 790 Center Road, Plum Boro, PA 15239
- 6/27 12 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., American Red Cross, 133 Friendship Circle, Beaver, PA 15009
- 6/18 11:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Chippewa Township Fire Department, 2568 Darlington Road, Beaver Falls 15010
- 6/17 1 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Darlington Twp. Municipal Building, 3590 Darlington Road, Darlington, PA 16115
- 6/24 12 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Honda North, 665 Evans City Rd., Butler, PA 16001
- 6/14 1 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 2217 Chicora Road, Route 68N, Chicora, PA, 16025
- 6/12/2019: 12:30 p.m. - 6 p.m., Grace Church of Harmony, 538 Main Street, Harmony, PA, 16037
- 6/28 12 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Highlands Hospital, 401 East Murphy Avenue, Connellsville, 15425
- 6/20 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., PennDot, 825 North Gallatin Ave, Uniontown, PA 15401
- 6/25 11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., Uniontown Hospital, 500 West Berkeley Street, Uniontown, PA, 15401
- 6/14 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., Donora Public Library, 510 Meldon Ave., Donora, PA 15033
- 6/14 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monongahela Valley Hospital, 1163 Country Club Road, Monongahela, PA 15063
- 6/14 12 p.m. - 4:30 p.m., Export Italian American Club, 5930 Kennedy Ave, Export, PA 15632
- 6/12 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Greensburg Blood Donation Center, 351 Harvey Avenue, Greensburg, PA, 15601
- 6/19 11:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Laurel Podiatry Associates, 235 Humphrey Road, Pineview Place, Suite 4, Greensburg, PA
- 6/26 12 p.m. - 6 p.m., Greensburg Blood Donation Center, 351 Harvey Avenue, PA 15601
- 6/26 1 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 501 Fairfield Dr., Greensburg, PA 15601
- 6/21 1 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., North Huntingdon Town House, 11279 Center Highway, Irwin, PA 15642
- 6/27 12:30 p.m. - 5 p.m., American Legion Post 515, 1811 Ligonier St, Latrobe, PA
- 6/28 1:30 p.m. - 7 p.m., GLAHS Center for Student Creativity, Greater Latrobe Area High School, 131 High School Road, Latrobe, PA
- 6/25 12 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church, 300 W Main St, Ligonier, PA 15650
- 6/19 1:30 p.m. - 7 p.m., St. Martin's Church, 5684 Route 982, New Derry, PA 15671
- 6/27 11:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., The United Presbyterian Church of New Kensington, 601 Fifth Ave, New Kensington, PA 15068
State Farm wants you to give blood, and also drive safely to your appointment!