Ursta House Update: The Plumbing is Done!
Wow! It took a week, now the crew from Matt Mertz Plumbing has finished work at the Ursta house.
It's been a little while since we brought you an update from the Ursta house near McKeesport, PA. Nick hasn't been doing well lately and has some new challenges with his cancer battle, brought on by mesothelioma.
He got that from his time after 9/11 when he and his wife, Margaret, were volunteering with their unit of first responders from White Oak. Today I caught up with both of them and the amazing folks at Matt Mertz Plumbing who donated their services to take care of ALL the plumbing needs for their home.
What an amazing family, not to mention the wonderful people who are stepping up to help put this home together for them. The next steps will take place outside with the siding. We are going to get that put up shortly, and then there's the kitchen and bathrooms.
Margaret Ursta reviewing kitchen and bath illustrations from Marvista Kitchen and Bath. Work begins on the building and installation very soon.
Follow the Ursta's Journey on Sparkt:
- Anonymous Donor Steps Up for 9-11 Cancer Victim
- UPDATE: Community Rallies To Help 9/11 Volunteers Build Dream Home
- Community Support Grows For 9/11 Hero's Dream Home
Special thanks to:
- TUDI Mechanical Systems: They installed a brand new furnace and donated the entire system as part of their Heat For The Needy program.
- Kevin Anglum and Tony Napolitano: These retired contractors have done the walls and ceilings drywall and sheet rock with additional volunteer assistance from the Carpenters and Joiners Union .
- Maury Burgwin, President of the Mon Yough Area Chamber of Commerce : Burgwin is working with area businesses on materials and labor.
- Anonymous: A mystery man paid for the roofing job installed by Nicolella Roofing .
- Matt Mertz Plumbing : They have done a complete job of running all of the plumbing and making sure it's all up to code. It took a week of work and they didn't ask for a penny.
- Michael Jacobs, President and Owner of Marvista Kitchen and Bath . Jacobs' team is working on the dream kitchen and bathrooms for Nick and Margaret.
Our apologies if we're missing anyone, but you get the picture of the small army that's coming together to help the Ursta's get their dream home finished. We're going to make sure that it gets done as Nick continues to fight the good fight with his cancer.