Clean Out Your Basement & Garage at These Events
Get rid of household chemicals and hard to recycle items at Pittsburgh region locations
For lots of us, spring means spring cleaning, and that includes getting rid of all the junk that's piled up in our basements and garages.
Old cans of paint. The weed killer that's so old it probably doesn't work any more. The TV that went dead over the winter, the computer monitor that won't turn on, the old tires that have been leaning against the wall in the garage for years. The list goes on and on.
These are the kinds of things you can't just put at the curb on garbage day. That's where the Pennsylvania Resources Council comes in. The PRC annual 2019 Household Chemical and Hard-To-Recycle Collections start this weekend.
Volunteers will even help you unload your old chemicals and paint.
Household chemical collections launch this Saturday, May 4 at the North Park Swimming Pool parking lot, in McCandless Township (S Ridge Dr, Allison Park, PA 15101). You can drop off automotive fluids, household cleaners, pesticides, paints and other household chemicals for a cost of $3 per gallon (a few exceptions apply), cash only.
2019 Household Chemical Collection Schedule (all 9 a.m.-1 p.m):
- May 4 (North Park, Allegheny County)
- May 18 (Concurrent Technologies Corporation ETF Facility, Johnstown, Cambria County)
- June 22 (Fairgrounds, Fayette County)
- July 20 (Wild Things Park, Washington County)
- August 17 (Boyce Park, Allegheny County)
- September 21 (South Park, Allegheny County)
- October 12 (Bradys Run Park, Beaver County)
PRC will make sure your old TVs and computer monitors are recycled.
Hard to recycle collections launch Saturday May 11, at the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills in Frazer Township (590 Pittsburgh Mills Blvd, Tarentum, PA 15084). You can drop off "e-waste" like computers, cell phones, printer/toner cartridges, CFLs and expandable polystyrene packaging material at no cost. For a fee they'll take alkaline batteries, televisions, computer monitors, fluorescent tubes, small Freon appliances and tires.
2019 Hard-to-Recycle Collection Schedule (all 9 a.m.-1 p.m):
- May 11 (Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, Frazer Township, Allegheny County)
- June 15 (Bethel Park High School, Allegheny County)
- June 29 (Quaker Valley High School, Leetsdale, Allegheny County)
- July 27 (La Roche University, McCandless, PA 15237)
- August 3 (West Mifflin Area High School, West Mifflin, Allegheny County)
- October 5 (Settlers Cabin Park, Robinson Township, Allegheny County)